- Benjamin S. Murphy
- B.A. Geology and Physics, Pomona College (2013)
- Ph.D. Student at Oregon State University (CEOAS)
If a volcano erupts in the Archean and leaves no geologic record, did it really happen?
- Magnetotellurics for Tectonics and Geodynamics
My primary research interests involve using long-period magnetotelluric data to tackle questions about the lithosphere and the asthenosphere
(i.e., the crust and the uppermost mantle). Generally, I'm interested in problems that fall into the realm of large-scale tectonics and geodynamics.
You can read more about magnetotellurics and my research using the technique on my Scientific Musings page.
- Python for Scientific Computing
Python is an incredibly
useful and supremely awesome scripting and programming language. It is very easy to learn and use;
it is open source (i.e., free); and it has a huge development community that continuously churns
out new, awesome packages (i.e., extensions).
I am a very enthusiastic Python user. So far, I have been working
on a kriging toolkit for Python (PyKrige, check it out on
PyPI). If you're interested
in learning Python, I'd recommend starting with either
Google's Python Class
or the Codecademy Python Course.
Once you have the basics down, you can find many other resources out there to help you learn
how to use numpy, scipy, matplotlib, etc. It's also worth mentioning that, because Python is so
widely used and is open source, a quick Google search about any problem you might be having will
turn up an answer 99% of the time.
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert, Source Biases in Mid-Latitude Magnetotelluric Transfer
Functions due to Pc3-4 Geomagnetic Pulsations. Earth Planets Space (submitted for publication).
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert,
structure of southeastern North America: Implications for lithospheric architecture and
Appalachian topographic rejuvenation. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 462, 66-75 (2017).
- B.S. Murphy, R.R. Gaines, J.S. Lackey, Co-Evolution of Volcanic and Lacustrine Systems in Pleistocene Long Valley Caldera, California, USA. J. Sed. Res. 86 (10), 1129-1146 (2016).
- R.J. Mawhorter, B.S. Murphy, A.L. Baum, T.J. Sears, T. Yang, P.M. Rupasinghe, C.P. McRaven, N.E. Shafer-Ray, L.D. Alphei, J.U. Grabow, Characterization of the ground X1 state of 204Pb19F, 206Pb19F, 207Pb19F, and 208Pb19F. Phys. Rev. A 84, 022508 (2011).
- L.D. Alphei, J.U. Grabow, A.N. Petrov, R. Mawhorter, B. Murphy, A. Baum, T.J. Sears, T.Zh. Yang, P.M. Rupasinghe, C.P. McRaven, N.E. Shafer-Ray, Precision spectroscopy of the 207Pb19F molecule: Implications for the measurement of P-odd and T-odd effects. Phys. Rev. A 83, 040501 (2011).
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert, Surprises from the Magnetotelluric Component of the
USArray in the Eastern United States: Perplexing Anticorrelations with Seismic Images and Puzzling
Insights into Continental Dynamics. AGU Fall Meeting, S42A-04 (2017).
[Invited Oral Presentation]
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert, Source Biases in Magnetotelluric Transfer Functions due
to Pc3/Pc4 (~10-100s) Geomagnetic Activity at Mid-Latitudes. AGU Fall Meeting,
GP31A-06 (2017). [Oral Presentation]
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert, Sutures and an Anomalous Deep Lithospheric Electrical
Resistor in the Southeastern United States as Revealed by EarthScope Magnetotelluric Data.
AGU Fall Meeting, T51G-3018 (2016). [Poster]
- B.S. Murphy, Intracaldera Sedimentation in the Miocene Cottonwood Creek Caldera,
Nevada, USA. Geol. Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog. 48, (2016). [Oral Presentation]
- B.S. Murphy, G.D. Egbert, E.D. Humphreys, Testing Magnetotelluric Constraints on
the Physical State of the Yellowstone Plume. AGU Fall Meeting, V31E-3070
- B.S. Murphy, PyKrige: Development of a Kriging Toolkit for Python. AGU Fall Meeting, H51K-0753 (2014). [Poster]
- K.W. Murphy, B.S. Murphy, A.W. Ellis, Dual Heuristics for Assessment of Hydrologic Sensitivities to Climate Change in Watersheds of the Lower Colorado Basin. AGU Fall Meeting, H11G-0958 (2014). [Poster]
- J.S. Lackey, J.S. Miller, G.R. Davies, J.L. Eisenberg, B.S. Murphy, Deconvoluting magma mixing and source characteristics of a long lived (approximately 9 M.Y.) Sierra Nevada magmatic complex; O, Hf and trace elements of zircon from the John Muir Suite. Geol. Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog. 45, 390 (2013). [Poster]
- J.S. Lackey, C.L. Sendek, J.S. Miller, B.S. Murphy, A.A. Fulton, I.N. Bindeman, R. Economos, A. Kylander-Clark, G.R. Davies, A Mojave perspective on volcanic-plutonic systems in California's Middle Jurassic arc. Geol. Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog. 45, 691 (2013). [Poster]
- L. Pellerin, M. Gallegos, M. Goebel, B.S. Murphy, J. Smith, D. Soto, J. Swiatlowski, C. Volk, M. Welch, D.W. Feucht, B. Hollingshaus, P.A. Bedrosian, D.K. McPhee, Mapping the edge of the Cerros del Rio volcanic field, New Mexico: a piece of the puzzle to understanding a potential geothermal resource. AGU Fall Meeting, NS23A-1645 (2012). [Poster]
- B.S. Murphy, R.R. Gaines, J.S. Lackey, Soft Rocks in a Restless Caldera: The Long Valley Caldera-Fill Sediments. Geol. Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog. 44, (2012). [Oral Presentation]
- A.R. Zilberfarb, J.S. Lackey, C.L. Sendek, J.L. Eisenberg, B.S. Murphy, L.A. Ferguson, N.A. Raschick, N.D. Simpson, I.N. Bindeman, Variable Recycling of Anomalous Low-δ18O Proterozoic Crust in the Ord Mountains, Mojave Desert, CA. Geol. Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog. 44, 281 (2012). [Poster]
- B.S. Murphy, K.S. Metcalfe, G. Ruiz, L.G. Curtin, S.R. Chestler, J.C. Penido, J.K. Muller, E.B. Grosfils, Magma reservoir rupture beneath a Venusian edifice: When does lithospheric flexure become significant? 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, 1060 (2012). [Poster]
- J.S. Lackey, J.S. Miller, B.S. Murphy, D.S. Coleman, A. Schmitt, G.R. Davies, Sources and assembly of the John Muir intrusive suite, Sierra Nevada, USA: Single zircon oxygen and hafnium isotope records. Hutton Symposium on the Origin of Granites 7, 85 (2011). [Poster]
- A. Baum, R. Mawhorter, B. Murphy, T.J. Sears, T.Zh. Yang, P.M. Rupasinghe, C.P. McRaven, N.E. Shafer-Ray, L.D. Alphei, J.U. Grabow, High Resolution Rotational Spectroscopy Study of the Zeeman Effect in the 2Π1/2 Molucule PbF. 66th International Symposium On Molecular Spectroscopy (2011). [Poster]
- Staff Scientist, S.S. Papadopulos & Associates, Inc., Bethesda, MD
(June 2013 - August 2014)
Fellowships, Awards, and Honors
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow (NSF GRFP; 2016)
- Sigma Xi (2013)
- Phi Beta Kappa (2013)
- Goldwater Scholar (2012)
- National Merit Scholar (2009)
- Eagle Scout (Awarded 2006)
Back to Rocking with the Rocks
Page modified on 4/17/2017